Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Playing Together

The magical thing about play is that it's not only fun, it's how children learn. Through play they discover how the world works, how to make things happen, and how good it feels to interact with others.

If your baby could talk:
There's no one I'd rather play with than you! I like you better than any of my toys. That's why I beam at you, and squeal with delight when I see you come near! I can already show you when I like something and "tell" you with my expressions and gestures, "Peek-a-boo . . . one more time please!" When I shake a rattle and it makes a noise, I learn that I can make things happen. I love to get my hands on things and use my mouth to explore them. When you hold toys for me and cheer me on as I reach out and grasp something, I'm thrilled, because I'm learning that I can make my body work to get what I want. You're a great partner.

What your baby is learning:
When you play with your baby, you're letting him know that he's fun to be with and that he's important. This builds his self-esteem. And the joy of having fun with you helps him develop positive relationships as he grows.

You are your baby's first and most important teacher. You help him become the master of his world. Offering him objects with different appearances, sounds and textures will help him learn many important skills and concepts. When your baby uses his facial expressions and gestures to entice you to play peek-a-boo, for example, he is learning about cause and effect and boosting his confidence that he can make things happen. The same goes for shaking a rattle: "I move my arm, this toy makes a noise. Mmmm, let's try that again!" As you share the pleasure of play, your baby's curiosity and interest in taking on new challenges will grow.

What you can do:

Coach your baby as he works to master a skill such as reaching for a toy. Bring an object closer until he can get it on his own. Doing it himself builds his self-confidence.
Play lots of back-and-forth games. For example, bat the toy he just swung at. These interactions form the foundation of later communication skills and are his first lessons about taking turns.

No comments: