Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Comforting ur Newborn

If your newborn could talk: Sometimes when I cry it has nothing at all to do with being hungry. Sometimes I just cry because I find the world around me overwhelming. Other times I cry to release tension. Adjusting to this outside world is hard work! Whenever I cry, I need you. Please come as soon as you can. As you get to know me, you'll learn to "read" and respond to my different cries through trial and error. Sometimes nothing seems to work. But I'm not mad at you. I may just need to cry awhile to let off steam. If my crying really gets on your nerves--and it might--it's okay to put me down in a safe place for just a few minutes or get someone else to try to help. And always remember, we're both adjusting to big changes in our lives.
What your newborn is learning: Responding promptly when your newborn cries teaches her that you'll always care for her, and she learns that she is an effective communicator. Don't worry, you won't spoil her. In fact, research shows that babies whose cries are responded to quickly and sensitively tend to cry less overall because they have learned that care is coming.
When you comfort her, you are teaching her ways to soothe herself. For example, if cuddling calms her now, she may later cuddle up with her "lovey" (perhaps a stuffed bear) to help put herself to sleep. Over the years, your prompt attention will help her feel confident that she can comfort herself and manage, even in stressful situations.
What you can do:
When your baby "tells" you she's distressed, try different things. See if she's hungry or needs to burp. Check her diaper. Hold her in different positions. Sing or talk to her softly. Swaddle her in one of her baby blankets. Take her for a ride in her stroller or in the car.
Learn how your baby likes to be comforted. For example, some babies might find it overwhelming if you talk to them and look at them at the same time. You may need to do one thing at a time; gaze into her eyes without talking, sing to her without making eye contact.

No comments: