Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Grocery Shopping

Most parents dread taking their baby to the store. But when you see it through babies' eyes, there are endless possibilities for exploration.
If your baby could talk: Wow! Look at all these colorful objects and interesting people; listen to the sounds, smell the smells! If I seem cranky in here it's because I'm a little overwhelmed by everything around me. When you hold me close and tell me what's going on, it helps. I learn the world can be a safe and interesting place to explore. As I get bigger, I'll want to help you out, by pushing the cart, carrying paper towels, and lots of other stuff. Giving me jobs I can handle builds my confidence, keeps me out of trouble, and makes it easier for me to wait. When I recognize a box of our favorite crackers or the white and blue milk carton like the one we have at home, I am developing skills that will one day help me read. I also learn about shapes, colors, matching and numbers when you ask me to put two round oranges in the bag. For me, this is math and science. The grocery store is a world of wonder for me!
What your baby is learning:If your child is easily overwhelmed, make your shopping trips short. When you respect your child's feelings, over time he will learn to adapt. You will also be teaching him empathy for others. When you engage him by talking about what he is seeing and hearing, you are helping him develop language skills. When you give him appropriate "jobs" to divert him from pulling all the boxes off the shelf, he'll see himself as an important helper and begin to learn self-control. Stores offer a rich environment, with countless opportunities to learn new ways about how the world works.
What you can do:
Let your child take something small from home with him to the store, perhaps his lovey or a toy. These objects can make him feel safe and can also give him a playful diversion.
Provide lots of opportunities for him to get involved. Ask him to point to a familiar product on a nearby shelf. Hand him soft, unbreakable items and ask him to place them in the cart. Kids love to be helpful

No comments: