Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Hello's & Goodbye's

Separations--whether daily or occasional--can be hard on you as well as your child. But helping her adapt to these comings and goings can actually support your baby's social and emotional development.
Good-byes through your baby's eyes:Some days, I cry when you leave. I might also cry or ignore you when you come back. That doesn't mean I've been miserable the whole time you were away. It just means that when I see you, it reminds me that you've been gone, and I need and love you so much that I get overwhelmed and have to cry. I know I'm safe to share my deepest feelings with you, and that's why I can show you when I'm sad. When you need to leave me, it helps if you spend some time with me and my caregiver. When you smile and talk with her, I feel safe because I'm staying with someone you like. When I'm bigger, let me take a picture of you or something else that's special from home. And please, don't ever just sneak out on me, even if it seems like it will be easier. It only makes me fearful that at any moment you might disappear without warning. Saying good-bye to me makes me trust you more. Over time, I will learn that whenever you leave, you come back.
What your baby is learning from hellos and good-byes: When you show respect for your baby's feelings--by letting her know you are leaving and helping her cope with your separations--she begins to recognize and handle her own feelings. When you establish predictable routines, you build her security and trust. She learns what to expect and feels in control of her world. As she learns to handle separations, she develops trusting relationships with other nurturing adults, learning that others can take good care of her, too. Her social and emotional skills may get a boost if she is being cared for alongside other children.
What you can do:
Understand how your child best copes with separations. Does it help for you to spend some time playing with her in the center before you leave, or does she adjust better if you say a quick good-bye?
As she grows, tell her what to expect, "You'll have circle time, then have snack, play outside on the playground and then Mommy comes back!" Because she doesn't yet understand real time, this gives her a sense of when things will happen and in what order.

No comments: